Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mercadante Woodfired Pizzeria

The quest for food continues. This time, we head all the way back to Lygon Street from Old Kingdom for some dessert and drinks. Destination? Mercadante.

Famous for chocolate pizza.
I used to live just next to Lygon Street and walked past Mercadante almost everyday on the way to the city. However, I do hear people talking about the awesome chocolate pizza but somehow I never stepped a foot in there, despite being a chocoholic.

Face-lifted wall.
Mercadante, like any restaurant on Lygon, is just full of burly Italian men eating ridiculous amounts of food. Nonetheless, Mercadante seems to have a less serious air and not reminiscent of some scene from The Godfather. I suppose that is thanks to the strongly lit interior and the nice pictures of Venice on the wall.

Heed this warning, do not go to Mercadante if you are prone to heart attacks. The guy behind the counter plays tricks on unsuspecting customers. Sometimes he tosses a fake spider onto a girl; sometimes he puts on a clown mask and breathes down your neck; sometimes he throws something which looks like a plate at you. Always be vigilant in Mercadante, or you would be scared dead.

Back to the topic, the chocolate pizza.

It was not what I expected.
Pardon me, but when somebody mentions chocolate pizza, I picture a round, thin crust with chocolate sauce, whipped cream and strawberry toppings, not a sliced up dough stick covered with Nutella.

People are going to hate me for this, but the chocolate pizza was just so-so. The pizza was rather tough, and when you chew something resilient drenched in Nutella, it just drips down your lips. Maybe I am the only one who does not like that sensation. Personally, I think they could have done it better with a thin, puffy crust. 

123, Lygon St, 
Carlton, 3053 VIC,

Australia.



View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment